Sunday, June 28, 2009

And now a glimpse into what I'm dealing with

A huge sigh can be heard from me numerous times a day.

Ryan let me sleep in today and when I got up Hudson was kind of fussy. So I got him breakfast and sat him up to the table to eat his oatmeal. And then I noticed it.

A bite mark on his arm. A 3-year olds bite mark. (Thanks, Little D!)

I called Porter over and asked him what it was.

P: "It's from me."

Me: "Why did you do that?"

P: " Because."

I questioned a couple more times and finally Porter pauses, looks at me with all the seriousness in the world, sticks a hand out, the other on his hip.

P: " I know what his problem is, Mom. I know what the problem is. I just need him to be back in your belly!"

I. Kid. You. Not.

I ask day after day... WHERE did this kid come from and WHERE does he get these things?

I bit my lip to stop from laughing. We had a long talk about how biting is such an UGLY thing to do and a VERY BAD choice. We discussed better choices of things to do besides biting. (turns out Hudson was trying to take Porter's truck?)

It seemed to hit home when I said "I'm so sad that Hudson's bucket is so empty right now."
Porter said "And my bucket is full!"
Me: "No... no your bucket is very empty too. Its so sad."
Porter got a very sad look on his face and said "Yeah, I was being a bucket dipper. But.... Hudson was being a bucket dipper too!"
I told him "Well, instead, you could have been a bucket filler for him and you both would have very full buckets right now instead of empty ones."
He says... "Yeah...."

I'm just not sure what to do about the biting. We've never had to deal with this before.. Porter has always been able to verbalize what he was mad/angry about and never resorted to this type of angry actions until he was bit by Donnie a few times when we were camping. I'm just not sure what to do to nip it in the butt. Any suggestions?! My only thought right now is to bite him back. It makes me so angry that he's resorting to this!

2 comments:

  1. Oy. Cooper went through the exact same phase - and he too was at an age where he was completely able to express his feelings - he just wouldn't, and would bite instead. We tried talking about it, as well as time-outs, and every other strategy we could think of. And then I got tired of it, and bit him back. And I felt like crap. BUT . . . he hasn't bitten anyone since. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same stragety. Aubrionna bit Addisen once and I went and bit her back. I felt bad but she never did it again. lol poor kids getting bit by their parents that are much bigger than them ha ha

    ReplyDelete