Wednesday, December 10, 2008

27 Years: And still a Work In Progress

I'd have to say Year 26 has quite possibly been the hardest year of my life. There was a year or so in High School that I thought was terrible (requested therapy, had lots of emotional breakdowns...) but I think this trumps it. From turning into Super Bitch during my pregnancy, attempting to restore our marriage, selling our house (FINALLY!), having a baby and moving just 2 weeks later, living out of boxes in my mom/grandpa's house, dealing with trying to purchase a foreclosed home, moving AGAIN, and then the death of my mother-in-law. It's been trying. And I think of all the things that you read about marriages going to shambles in the midst of trauma and Ryan and I are actually so much better for the worse of it (maybe has to do with the fact that I'm not a Pregnant Bitch anymore?).

It's also been a year of celebrations.... we have another healthy, beautiful addition to our family, we are both still employed and able to afford groceries and gas (haha!), and we have purchased a new, larger home that we are absolutely in love with.

This past year has not gone by without some great things learned. Especially with the passing of Cathy I've taken on the mantra "Live life to the fullest." You never, ever know when you'll be leaving this earth and you really should fully soak in all that life has to offer. I thought I'd list some things of wisdom... big and small... I feel that I've caught onto this year. I know there is so much more to learn in the future and for that I'm excited.

I've learned..
  • that you should live life to the fullest...
  • that good things DO happen to good people... sometimes it just takes time.
  • to speak my mind and be open with others... when applicable
  • there are many situations where you feel it warrants your opinion, but know which ones warrant your mouth staying shut. Honesty is not always the best policy... sometimes others can't accept it.
  • to be more patient... reading back in a journal my mom wrote to me she expressed the same regret I know I will face... she wishes she had been more patient with us when we were little (then again, don't we all?!)
  • that wallpaper is wicked stuff... and not in a good way.
  • that blogging is so so important. Not only for past memory purpose but also the community it creates for you. Friends around the world that care about you and you might not even know it until you least expect it.
  • you should never regret taking too many pictures. They are the key to triggering past memory and they will forever capture and embrace those important and even boring day-to day moments in your life.
  • that sisters (and sister-in-laws) are important... tend to those relationships no matter how different you think you may be.
  • that clothing is optional... especially when you're 2 years old and potty training.
  • you should never give up your girls-nights-out... girlfriends (and couple friends with your spouse) are important! You never know when your spouse will be gone and you'll need those shoulders, those ears or that company.
  • not to worry about what others think or say about your life... especially when it pertains to your family, husband or kids.
  • a bigger home means lots more cleaning... and that there is a blessing to be found in having small bathrooms!
  • sometimes the things you think you'll have the hardest time accepting are the easiest to love
  • family will always be there for you... no matter how rotten you have been
  • laundry really does have a way of multiplying
  • friendships are ever evolving, always changing and taking new shape, sometimes even fading away. True friendships though, come back full circle when the time is right.
  • having everyone (or almost everyone) together for the holidays is the BEST!
So, here's to 27 years.... Cheers!

25 comments:

  1. OMG you are SO YOUNG! Happy Birthday to you! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Nicole! Wishing you a wonderful year!
    That was a beautiful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! 27 was my best year yet. Except for 28. 28's been fabulous. Can't wait for 29.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have learned a lot this year, and I'm sure it has made you a stronger and more appreciative person. It's been a hard year for me, also, but I just have to remind myself of everything that has gone right.
    Happy Birthday! Love the new look to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post. Wisdom comes with age. :) Here's to a fabulous year ahead. Happy birthday!

    P.S. I love the new banner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!!! What are your plans for the day?

    You have learned alot this past year, which means you as a person have grown alot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Nicole! I love this post nicely said. Love the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday nic! this post was a perfect way to look back at your year. i hope you have a fabulous birthday!

    the new blog look rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Nicole! Great post of the last year! Hope this year is better for you! Cheers!

    Great banner and layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Nicole! I hope you have a wonderful year...you deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully Written and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You are still so so Young!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday!!! What a nice, thoughtful post on this day of reflection. Hope you have fun birthday celebration plans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. p.s. I love the new look...that banner picture is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Nic. I hope this next year is a better one :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amen Sister!! Keep Preachin' those inspirational thoughts ;)!

    Happy Birthday! ** No matter how far, near or wide, I'll never be able to forget your or Heather's B-day...hope it's fabu-lo-so!*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! Well said too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Nicole! I hope you had a great day and was hoping to talk to you at some point.

    P.S. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday I hope you had a great day. I think this is just a fantastic way to commemorate the year. I sip some vodka for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you had a better day after I talked w/ you.

    Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some good stuff right there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That post made me tear up..... great reflection on your past year and GREAT lessons to share.... you have a great head on those shoulders!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete