Sunday, January 1, 2012

50 Reflections on 2011

It's that time already. Keeping with my tradition from 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 here we go...

1. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?  I didn't necessarily set "goals" but instead a list of things I wanted to get out of this year.  And some I completed faithfully, and others I didn't quite get around to.  

2. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?  Getting pregnant and finding out we were going to have a little girl!

3. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?  I don't know that there has been anything extremely challenging that happened.

4. What was an unexpected joy this past year?   My summer break.  I know that sounds weird, but most often by the end of summer break I'm so done staying home with the kids.  This year I really slowed myself down and made my presence with the boys more intentional and thoroughly enjoyed our summer.  I was very very sad to go back to work this fall.


5. What was an unexpected obstacle?  Making decisions about medications and dealing with adverse reactions.
6. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
 Took both boys on a plane on vacation alone.

7. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?  More time and money, although I know being thankful for what I have and being more intentional with both (time and money) will make it seem more abundant.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?  Forgiving but not forgetting.  

9. What was your biggest failure?
  Keeping up with exercising.  Isn't this the most common failure?  HAHA!


10. Did anyone close to you give birth?
  My friend Stephanie had Evan, my cousin Lindsey had Jayden, and a few other bloggy friends had babies.

11. Did anyone close to you die?
 Sweet Ramsey Kate. 

12. What states/countries did you visit?
 North Carolina,

13. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
 


14. How did you spend Christmas?
  Same as always... Christmas day was spent at home with our immediate family.  I had another sinus infection and sadly slept most of the day.  It was still a nice, relaxing day though.

15. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
  I turned the BIG 3-0!  I can't believe I am no longer in my 20's.  SOOO weird.  I do not feel this "old."   Ryan and I went out to dinner and a movie- we saw the new Twilight movie.

16. Did you suffer illness or injury?
  Oh so many sinus infections... 1 in October and 2 in December.  Other than that, nope.


17. What was the best thing you bought?
  Hmm... I don't know.


18. Whose behavior merited celebration?
  I'm really proud of Ryan for graduating this June!

19. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
  I guess my brother's?   It doesn't necessarily make me depressed as much as disappointed.  Appalled and disappointed.  And sad for him because I think he really lacks the ability to change his life into the direction he needs.


20. Where did most of your money go?
  This one again?  Same as always.... bills, bills bills.


21. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
  Baby Sis!!!


22. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? 

happier
b) thinner or fatter? 

fatter
           c) richer or poorer?
  I'd say about the same.


23. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?  Probably my outlook on things- life, situations, people, etc.

24. In what way(s) did you grow:
  • emotionally?
  • spiritually?
  • physically? hahahahahha!  I'm pregnant... I'm sure you can envision the physical changes. 
25. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others? Ryan and I grew closer as parents as we tackled some challenges we had with Porter. The parenting class and counseling has been such a wonderful thing for our relationship to help us realize we really are a great team, we really do work well together and we ARE great parents, despite our downfalls and shortcomings.

26. With whom were your most valuable relationships?  My husband, kids and myself


27. Did you fall in love in 2011?
   Of course... always in love with my 3 favorite boys, and falling so deeply in love with baby girl!

28. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?  Nope



29. Who did you miss?
 Cathy and Ramsey

30. Who was the best new person you met?
 


31. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home? Oddly, the toy room.  I love organizing the kids' stuff.  Is that weird?



32. What was your most challenging area of home management?  Probably the dogs.  It has been SUCH a rainy year that it has been awful dealing with letting the dogs out and bringing them inside without muddying up everything.


33. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?  GAH Pinterest!  So many ideas, so little time.



34. What was the best way you used your time this past year?  Any time spent with my kids and husband was the best!  This summer I feel like I really spent time wisely with the boys.

35. What do you wish you’d done more of? Scrapbooking, keeping up on photography bookwork (I have a long road ahead to get ready for filing taxes!) and somehow archiving all of my pictures/blog into Blurb Books.

36. What do you wish you’d done less of?  Dwelling on the past

37. What was the best book you read?
  I love love loved The Help.


38. What was your favorite TV program?
 Revenge, Grey's Anatomy, Parenthood, Real Housewives (any of them), Flipping Out,


39. What was your favorite movie of this year?
  


40. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?  None.  Celebs are overrated.


41. What did you want and get?  A little girl to complete our family


42. What did you want and not get?
 A full time job


43. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
 Getting hired into a full time teaching position at Bean.

44. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?


45. What kept you sane?
  Therapy, meditation, and medication.  :)


46. What political issue stirred you the most?
 None, really.


47. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
 



48. What song will always remind you of 2011?
  One Republic:  Good Life

49. How did you ring in the New Year?  We spent New Years Eve at Duck Lake with friends... the Dawsons, Howards and Tappans.  It was pretty low key, as two of us were preggo and one non-drinker.  We had fun playing games and watching a movie.  It was great to be kid-free for an evening!


50. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. 

And I've been a fool and I've been blind
I can never leave the past behind
I can see no way, I can see no way
I'm always dragging that horse around

All of his questions, such a mournful sound
Tonight I'm gonna bury that horse in the ground
So I like to keep my issues strong
But it's always darkest before the dawn

I am done with my graceless heart
So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart
Cause I like to keep my issues strong
It's always darkest before the dawn
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/f/flo
Shake it out, shake it out, shake it out, shake it out, ooh woaaah
Shake it out, shake it out, shake it out, shake it out, ooh woaaah

And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back
So shake him off, oh woah

No comments:

Post a Comment