Monday, March 3, 2008

What do the ER, RSV and Pneumonia have in common?

My kid, apparently.

This is what we've been up to so far:

Sunday night we took Porter into the ER. His temp was still 103.6 and he had begun throwing up. The nurse hotline recommended taking him in, so in we went.

The nurse in the ER seemed to think we'd be sent home after dosing him up with Tylenol (rectally) and then Motrin. We were (amazingly) taken back from triage into a room quite quickly.

Porter had x-rays of his chest.

We waited and waited. Gave him a breathing treatment. His O2 levels kept dropping, so they put him on oxygen.

Around 1am Ryan asked a nurse what we were waiting for... if we were going home or what.

Turns out his nasal cultures tested positive for RSV and we were going to be admitted.

We didn't get into a room until 2:45am. Nearly SIX hours after we arrived in ER. Ugh. Ryan left to go home and get a few hours sleep before being into work at 6am (he had no sick days so couldn't just call in). I went with Porter to get his IV put in. Terrible. I about cried. He was not happy with having the nasal O2 tubes in and having an IV. Poor kid. Kept telling me "Take my arm off!" "My nooooose!"

We both finally fell asleep around 3am and I was in and out of sleep until 6am when Porter woke for the morning.

The nurse originally said it could be a couple days until he could go home, but then the pediatrician said once he's able to be off the O2 we'd be sent home with a breathing treatment.

THEN... he came back after viewing his x-rays and said he has pneumonia in his left lower lung (or something like that). Its basically from the RSV, and he's going to be on an IV antibiotic for 24 hours to try to keep the pneumonia from developing any additional infections.

So... as of now I'm home for a bit to take a shower. Of course yesterday I didn't shower thinking "Oh, P's sick and we're just lounging at home..." Go figure. So while Ryan was at work I felt like a total scuzzball... pregnant, greasy and alone with a 2 year old in the hospital. I'm sure they thought I was one of Jackson's Finest- unmarried, pregnant with a toddler. When I left the hospital he was still not able to be off O2, and they hadn't yet given him the antibiotic. I wish they'd hurry up as I'm hoping we'll be able to come home by early afternoon tomorrow. I dread the night tonight in the hospital. Ugh.

Anyhow... I'm off to shower and pack up some bags for the night and head back to our little room. Luckily we don't have a roommate... he's in isolation and can't leave his room and the nurses have to wear gowns and gloves when they come in. I'm hoping that means we won't have a roommate!

Wish us luck. I'm crossing my fingers that Ryan and I don't catch this. We'll both be trading off days of work this week as Porter is still contagious.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Nicole. I'm so sorry your little man is so sick. I'll keep you guys in my prayers. Take care of yourself and try and get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH GEESH!! I am glad you took him in! Get some sleep. Thinking & prayin for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the P-man feels better soon! Sounds like a nightmare, hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Porter gets better real soon! I can't imagine what it would be like! We'll keep your family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :( thinking about you guys. that seriously sucks. happy 2nd birthday, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope he starts to feel better ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. poor little guy! i hope they take good care of him and he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. feel better soon p! :( take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh... what a night! Hopefully tonight you'll all sleep better and then be home in your own beds tomorrow!!
    Poor little guy... glad at least he's on his way to getting better! Keep us posted when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh!! What a bad night you guys had! I hope that P starts to get better soon, luckly you will have your own room and no roommates! I'll be thinking about you, and if you need anything, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, poor thing!
    What a night!
    I hope he gets better real soon and you can bring him home :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I hope the night goes ok for you! Keep us posted and I'll be thinking of Porter! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope he's feeling better soon! Good for quarantine, though. When Lydia was in w/exactly the same, the last thing I wanted was a roomie.
    Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! I will send up some prayers for you guys....poor little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! I will send up some prayers for you guys....poor little guy!

    ReplyDelete